Going to school as an adult can be challenging. SBCAE adult schools and community colleges can connect you with support services such as housing assistance, food pantries, childcare resources, immigration services, transportation needs and more! Let us help you take care of what stands between you and your education.

California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)

If you meet certain income requirements and have children under the age of 18, you may be eligible to receive cash assistance, support with school tuition, healthcare and transportation. CalWORKs is a public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child(ren) in the home. If a family has little or no cash and needs housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, they may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses.

There are three ways to find out if you qualify:

Or contact the CalWORKS coordinator at one of our schools

Community based organizations are instrumental in providing adult learners with supportive services while they are pursuing their education. Through the Community Connections Referral Network, SBCAE convenes a strategic set of partners that actively refer clients and students to each other. Our support group brings together virtually an eclectic group of community-based professionals every third Thursday of the month from 1 PM - 2:30 PM. If you are interested in joining our group, email Community Partnership Specialist, Katie Hass at [email protected]. We look forward to connecting with you and exploring ways to collaborate and make a positive impact in our community! Learn More Here


Support Services at California’s Community Colleges

California’s Community Colleges are the largest provider of workforce training and higher education in the country. They offer support services to all students, including military veterans, undocumented immigrants, the disabled, the homeless, and current or former foster youth. These services include Extended Opportunities Programs and Services (EOPS), CalWORKs, Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS), NextUp, Health Services, and more. With their leadership and coordination, they can help you achieve your higher education and career goals. Check out our local community colleges’ websites or contact a transition specialist to learn more about their support services!


Translate »
Scroll to Top
Skip to content