Are you ready to get started? Do you know which adult school or community college you want to attend? Have you decided which class you want to take? Click the registration links below to start your educational journey at an SBCAE adult school or community college.

frequently asked questions

How do I enroll at an adult school?

Depending on the school and program you wish to attend, the enrollment process may include the following:

Step 1:

CONTACT the school

Visit the school’s website, stop by the front office, call the school or submit an online contact form. 

Contact information

Step 1:

Step 2:


Visit the school office to complete a paper registration form, or complete an online registration form.

Step 2:

Step 3:


Schools have orientation sessions for ESL, High School Diploma/Equivalency, and some Career Education classes. Visit the school’s website to learn more.

Step 3:

Step 4:


ESL students will take a placement test to determine the level of class that is right for them. Some High School Diploma/Equivalency programs may require a placement test or counseling appointment.

Step 4:

Step 5:

Start your CLASSES

You are ready to start your classes!

Step 5:

How do I enroll at a community college?

The enrollment process is different for noncredit or credit courses offered at community colleges:

Noncredit courses

Enrollment for noncredit courses typically includes completing an online application form:

Credit courses

Enrollment for credit courses typically includes the following steps:

  1. Apply for admission: complete the CCCApply form
  2. Apply for financial aid: complete the FAFSA form
  3. Determine your placement
  4. Complete an orientation
  5. Meet with a counselor to select classes
  6. Register and pay for classes
  7. Start your classes! 

Learn more about the enrollment process at each college:

Most classes are FREE or LOW COST! 

Adult Schools: ESL and High School Diploma/Equivalency classes are free. There may be a cost for textbooks or supplies, and there is a testing fee for the HiSET exam. Career Education classes may require a fee. Check the school’s catalog for the most recent information.

Community Colleges: Noncredit classes are free. Credit classes cost $46 per unit. There may be a cost for textbooks or supplies. Some colleges offer free tuition for first year, full time students. Financial aid is available.

YES! Some adult schools provide financial assistance for students taking the HiSET exam. Many financial aid options are available to Community College students: 

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Financial support from the Federal government. Student must be a U.S citizen or eligible noncitizen of the United States, and have a valid Social Security Number.

  • California Dream Act Application

Financial support from the State of California for students without a Social Security Number, AB540 students (must graduate from a CA HS, Adult School, with a High School Diploma or equivalent, Must have attended at least 3 yrs (K-12), and Students who have lost DACA status or never applied for DACA

  • Financial Aid Programs
    • Grants: free financial aid money, often based on financial need, that does not need to be repaid.
    • Fee Waivers/California College Promise Grant: a form of California State aid that waives the enrollment fee ($46/unit) for eligible California resident students.
    • Scholarship: money awarded to students based on academic or other achievements to help pay for education expenses.
    • Loans: a loan funded by the federal government to help pay for your education. A federal student loan is borrowed money you must repay with interest.

Learn  more about financial aid at each of the colleges: 

San Jose City College

Evergreen Valley College

West Valley College

Mission College

Adult Schools: August and January are the main registration windows for students wanting to attend an adult school. Depending on the school or class, you may be able to join during other times. Some adult schools offer a limited summer program.

Completing your high school diploma, or obtaining a high school equivalency HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA like HiSET or GED is recommended prior to attending community college. It is possible to enroll in community college without a high school diploma or equivalency, but you may not be eligible for financial aid or other services.

The recommended ESL level for most career training programs is intermediate high (level 4) or advanced (level 5). Alternatively, ESL for Work classes are a great option to learn English and career skills at the same time!


Our Support Team Is Ready To Contact You To Help You With Your Next Step on Your Educational Journey.

Translate »
Scroll to Top
Skip to content